Zoom is a cloud-based web conferencing tool. It unifies video conferencing, online meetings, and group messaging into a single platform. With Zoom, you will be able to video chat, talk, and text chat with your instructors and peers.
How does Zoom work in the iMSA?
The iMSA courses are highly interactive and engaging on a weekly basis. As a student, you will be participating in weekly live video sessions, office hours, and group work as part of your learning experience. Depending on how the live event is designed in each iMSA course, you will have the opportunity to interact with your instructors, teaching assistants, and classmates in different ways as part of a virtual classroom.
Zoom is where you will participate in live instruction and engage with faculty/TAs by asking questions in real time.
How can I set up a Zoom account?
Please note: You may need to wait 2-3 days after claiming your NetID before you are able to successfully set up your Zoom account.
The authentication system will use the Illinois Single-Sign On (SSO) system – the same login process with your Illinois netID that you use for Compass2g, the library and other campus resources. From this point forward you will need to use your Illinois login credentials to gain access to the Zoom Pro features.
To make sure your existing ZOOM account is part of the University of Illinois’ license or to establish your account, please follow the steps below.
- Confirm your @illlinois.edu ZOOM ID by going to: https://illinois.zoom.us
- Click the blue “Sign in” button. You will pass through to an Illinois SSO screen. If you don’t go to the SSO screen shown below, it means that you are already authenticated as an Illinois student in your current browser, due to using another Illinois resource or service. If you don’t see this screen then proceed to the next step.
- After completing the log in process, you will be directed to your Zoom account pages on the Zoom web site. Here you can set up various account features. For a full list of account features, please see the My Account Profile Page in the Zoom Help System for more information. Your “My Profile” page (link in left sidebar menu) will show your meeting ID number and URL to your personal meeting space.
- Future logins to Zoom via the client software you’ve downloaded in the past should use the SSO option found in the upper right hand corner. Even if you’ve logged in before from the left side email/password text boxes, use SSO now and in the when you come to this dialog box.
- The next dialog box will prompt you to enter company domain (illinois) to connect you to the Illinois SSO system. You will then sign in with your NetID and University password.
- Logging in this way will ensure you are using Illinois Zoom account to enable the Pro Zoom features, and that you are recognized in the Live Sessions with your official @illinois.edu credentials and name.
How can I access live events for my degree courses?
To access your live events for your degree courses, go to your course in Coursera and and select “Live Events” from the left navigation menu. From the Live Events tab, you will find the link for upcoming live events as well as the previously recorded sessions. When you log into the live event, your Zoom extension will launch when you click on the live link.
Zoom Training and Support Resources
- Zoom Help Center: The Help Center offers the most comprehensive resources on Zoom. You can type in issues and search for a solution.
- Zoom Video Tutorials: These video tutorials will teach you how to use different functionalities in Zoom. You can view the videos at your convenience.
- Zoom Technical Webinars: Zoom hosts technical webinars every month.
- Zoom Weekly Training Webinars: Free to register and join. This is a 90-minute user onboarding session with live Q&A. If you can’t attend, you can also view the latest recording.
- 24/7 Phone Support: Phone dial-in +1.888.799.9666 ext 2 or +1.650.397.6096 ext 2
- 24/7 Live Chat: To access live chat, click the Help pop-up button at the bottom of any Zoom page. Type in the question you have. After typing in your question, you will see a Live chat option.
- Zoom Ticket: You can also submit a ticket to Zoom directly for non-urgent matters.
To help you connect with others in the program, we invite you to join our iMSA Slack Team. On Slack you will see a channel for each of the offered courses, as well as the ability to create additional channels by interest/region/topics and communicate directly with other team members. You will receive an email invitation to your @illinois.edu email address and can click HERE to accept your invitation (Please note that you will only be able to join the slack channel with your @illinois.edu email address). If you have any issues, reach out to your program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.